Did you know?
Despite our state’s growing population and the larger number of students in today’s classrooms, our public schools are also getting nearly 15% less funding now than they did 10 years ago.5
(The number you're waiting for is $4.56 BILLION)†
% of AZ students attending non-public schools
% of AZ Kids who attend public schools
How do ESA vouchers contribute to the classroom crisis?
What did voters think?
Arizona voters across all parties and professions consistently name education as the state’s top priority.19 Arizonans oppose ESA voucher expansion by more than 2 to 1.20 Arizona voters blocked the expansion by a 65% margin and 97% of them name public education as central to Arizona’s success.21
What happened after Save Our Schools Arizona got enough signatures to put ESA vouchers on the ballot?
The referendum appeared on the November 2018 ballot as Proposition 305, allowing Arizona voters a say in how their tax dollars are spent and the future of their state. 65 percent of Arizonans voted NO, rejecting the Legislature’s ESA voucher expansion.
Where is the push for ESA voucher expansion coming from?
Three special interest groups, Americans for Prosperity, the Goldwater Institute, and the American Federation for Children, have each spent untold millions in Arizona on influencing elections and expanding ESA vouchers.22 Together, they are working to dismantle public education, changing it from the force which propelled America to world superpower status into a money-making scheme to benefit the already very rich.
Are court challenges in the works?
Yes. National special interest groups, including Americans for Prosperity and the American Federation for Children, have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into frivolous court challenges22 in a transparent attempt to silence Arizona voters.23 Your donations will help our outstanding legal team to do what it does best: defend your voice in court.
Share this Post
- “Arizona's new school-voucher program is on hold. Now what?” Arizona Republic, 8/10/2017
- “Gov. Doug Ducey signs expansion of Arizona's school-voucher program” Arizona Republic, 4/7/2017
- “Report: Arizona ranks near the bottom in public school student funding” KTAR, 9/8/2016
- “Fact Check: Does Arizona rank last in teacher pay?” Arizona Republic, 1/31/2017
- “Arizona students get less state money now than in 2008, study says” Arizona Republic, 11/30/2017
- “Arizona State Funding Project: Addressing the Teacher Labor Market,” Education Resource Strategies, 06/05/2018.
- "Arizona School Personnel, September 2021 Survey Results“ Arizona School Personnel Administrators Association
- “School-voucher expansion could cost Arizona $24M a year or more” Arizona Republic, 2/17/2017
- “Where school choice isn’t an option, rural public schools worry they’ll be left behind” Washington Post, 2/10/2017
- “Are Arizona's rural schools in a state of emergency?” AZ Ed News, 6/14/2017
- “Overview of K-12 Per Pupil Funding for School Districts and Charter Schools” Arizona Joint Legislative Budget Committee, 6/26/2017
- “JLBC concludes voucher expansion will increase costs to state” Arizona Capitol Times, 2/15/2017
- “A Well-Educated Workforce Is Key to State Prosperity” Economic Policy Institute, 8/22/2013
- “How closing schools hurts neighborhoods” Washington Post, 3/6/2013
- “Better Schools, Better Economies” The Atlantic, 12/9/2015
- “Arizona CEOs see schools as key weakness” Arizona Republic, 2/17/2016
- “AZ lacks top workforce to truly compete” Morrison Institute for Public Policy, 12/23/2013
- “Survey finds strong support for education issues in Arizona” Arizona Daily Star, 1/8/2016
- “Poll: Do Arizonans want public money used for private-school tuition?” Arizona Republic, 10/23/2016
- “Arizonans say education is valued but underfunded” Morrison Institute for Public Policy, 5/16/2012
- “In Arizona's voucher fight, it's citizens v. Koch network” Arizona Republic, 10/31/2017
- “Koch-funded group spends six figures to 'educate' on vouchers” Arizona Republic, 11/16/2017
- “Think tank worked to control Arizona school voucher program behind scenes, emails show” Arizona Republic, 12/7/2017
- “Koch Latino Front Group Instructs Arizona Moms About School Vouchers” PR Watch, 11/27/2017
- “Why teachers are fleeing Arizona in droves” Washington Post, 6/19/2015
† Arizona's Unrestored Budget Cuts Arizona School Boards Association
†† The cost of cuts: Arizona tax carve-outs last year hit $13.7B Arizona Capitol Times, 5/8/2017